There are a number of government funding initiatives that are now available that enable families in accessing the appropriate assessment and therapy needed for your child.

Medicare – Enhanced Primary Care (EPC) Plan

Kids Communicate Speech Pathology is registered with Medicare (under the Allied Health Initiative). Kids Communicate are happy to work with your General Practitioner to provide therapy under an EPC plan. The Enhanced Primary Care scheme is initiated by your General Practitioner and available to children and adults with Chronic Care needs. People with Autism are automatically eligible for the EPC because an Autism Spectrum Disorder is a chronic condition.

An EPC referral allows a child to access five therapy sessions over a 12-month period at a reduced rate. Medicare pays a rebate for the cost of these sessions. Please check their website or call Medicare for further information. You will require a referral from a GP to claim from Medicare.

An EPC referral will provide a rebate for up to 5 sessions per calendar year. The referral is valid for 12months so the one referral can be used across 2 separate years if necessary within the same calender financial year. Parents or adult client will need to see their GP. The referral date on the EPC must pre-date sessions in order to claim them. Parents will be issued with a receipt which has details on it that they can take to Medicare to claim.

Helping Children With Autism Medicare Rebates

In July 2008 the Federal Government introduced the Helping Children With Autism Initiative. Under this initiative, it is now possible for families to claim rebates from Medicare for Assessment and Treatment for Children with Autism Spectrum Disorders, providing a referral has been made by a Paediatrician.
The paediatrician can allocate up to 4 sessions for assessment for which rebates are available up until the child turns 13 years of age.

For children with a diagnosis of Autism Spectrum Disorder, a total of 20 therapy sessions can be allocated, including Speech Pathology, until the child turns 15 years of age.

FaHCSIA’s Better Start for children with Disabiltiy package funding

Kids Communicate Speech Pathology is an approved therapy provider for the Better Start for Children with Disability package and the Helping Children with Autism administered by the Department of Families, Housing, Community Services and Indigenous Affairs (FaHCSIA). The Better Start for Children with Disability Initiative assists children with developmental disabilities to access funding for early intervention services. 
Eligible children will have access to funding and new Medicare items under the initiative. Clients who have FAHCSIA funding can use this to access our services. Once Better Start funding has been approved, it can be used to access services at Kids Communicate Speech Pathology.

Funding is available for children who are diagnosed before age 6 years with either,

  • Cerebral Palsy
  • Down Syndrome,
  • Vision & hearing impairment
  • (Fragile X Syndrome,
  • Angelman Syndrome,
  • Cri Du Chat Syndrome,
  • Williams Syndrome
  • Prada Willi Syndrome)

Better Start funding allows for $12,000 per child ($6,000 per financial year) to be used toward the cost of accessing eligible therapy services.

Please contact us to discuss your circumstances and assist in investigating this and other funding options.

To more information regarding FaHCSIA funding, visit the FaHCSIA website For more information on the Better Start initiative, see the FaHCSIA: Better Start website

Private Health Insurance 

Kids Communicate Speech Pathology is registered with the private health insurance funds. Depending on your level of private health cover, a portion of your session costs may be claimable from your health fund. It is our understanding that you are not able to use both medicare and private health rebates for the same session. Please contact your private health provider to check if you are eligible for speech pathology rebates.

 Centrelink – Carers Allowance

Centrelink provide income supplements through a Carer Allowance for parents or carers who care for a child who has a disability. Please refer to the Centrelink site for further information.